Polycarbonate plastic are what covers most headlights. They are durable and scratch resistant. But with time, polycarbonate clouds over due to UV rays that degenerate the outer layer of plastic. Now here comes the good news: there is a way to DIY clean your own headlights and make them shine like new!
What you need:
- a good cloth
- glass cleaner or soap and water
- duck tape
- UV sealant (Sylvania or Lenz solution)
Let’s Get This Done
- Wipe your headlights as much as possible with your glass cleaner or soap and water.
- Dry the area and tape around the headlights to keep your car’s paint safe.
- An alternative: you can remove the actual headlights but this will require extra adjustment work to reinstall.
- Now sand your headlights to remove that outer layer of haze. This is an important step so be thorough and take your time.
- When you’ve finished, your entire headlight should be clear of any yellowing. It should now have a rough, dull surface.
- Use a headlight polish to clean up the sandpaper scratches and make the lenses clear again.
Make your own polish: you can do this by using some toothpaste and car wax. Here is a video below to show you how easy this is:
Apply UV Sealant
Since the sanding of your headlights removes any protective layer that was originally applied to the headlight, you need a UV sealant to prevent them from hazing up. Use products such as Sylvania and Lenz Solution for extended protection.
That’s pretty much it. This process should take no more than an hour. All we’ve got to say is, enjoy your like-new ride and worry no more!
Get a FREE QUOTE TODAY![contact-form-7 404 "No encontrado"]