Are You Beginning a New Trucking Operation? Here’s What You Need to Know About Truckers’ Insurance

It’s helpful to understand the coverages you’ll need for your new trucking operation before you start shopping. Here are the common ones:

Truckers General Liability Coverage

This covers the actions of a driver who is operating on someone else’s premises, such as loading docks and truck stops, and also covers mistakes in the delivery of the driver’s load.

Primary Liability Coverage

This dooes not cover your truck but covers the damage you may do to others while operating your truck.

Physical Damage Coverage

This covers repairmen’s and damage to your equipment in the event of an accident or theft.

Non-Trucking Liability Coverage

This covers damages or injuries to others while the truck is not under dispatch from the company you are currently leased on with.

Motor Truck Cargo Coverage

When protecting your cargo, make sure your insurance covers you no matter the risk — stolen goods, wet load, refrigeration breakdown, debris removal, etc. Ask for a cargo policy that is Broad Form and not Specified Perils (more on that later).

Trailer Interchange

Covers a non-owned trailer being used under a trailer interchange agreement.

Medical Payment

This covers medical bills if you or a passenger is injured while driving or riding in the tractor (this coverage varies from state to state).

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists — This coverage protects you if someone hits you and does not have liability coverage to repair whatever you need repaired.


How Much is Commercial Trucking Insurance?

Trucking insurance for an owner operator with their own authority generally runs anywhere from $8,000 to $14,000. But on the surface, that number means nothing because you might end up paying a whole lot more later.

You should understand how to properly compare the price of insurance. Insurers may throw out a quote that sounds great, and far cheaper than competitors.


       Let help protect your truck today!