Auto Insurance Covers Your Van, Not Your Stuff
- In case you don’t already know, auto insurance policies cover things like medical expenses and damage to your or other vehicles in an accident. It depends on how much coverage you purchase.
- It doesn’t cover your personal belongings inside the vehicle.
Renter’s or Homeowner’s Insurance Can Help
- House-dwellers have coverage for their personal belongings via renter’s or condo/homeowner’s insurance.
- Here’s the great thing about renter’s and homeowner’s insurance policies: They cover your personal property no matter where it is in the world. If someone breaks into your car and steals your laptop, you file a claim with your auto insurance for the car damage and a claim with your renter’s/homeowner’s insurance for the laptop.
- But if you live in your van full time, you don’t have an apartment/condo/home to insure!
- If you are genuinely a part-time van-dweller and maintain a residence somewhere else, that’s a different story depending on the insurer. They might be willing to insure you if there is a place where you spend the majority of your time.
- In our case, we learned that the homeowner’s insurance we pay for our condo (that we rent out) covers a limited amount of our personal property that isn’t physically present at the unit.
You Can Insure Individual Items, But It May Not Make Financial Sense
- Unless you have really expensive equipment and carry it all with you, it’s not worth the monthly premiums and deductible.
Travel and RV Insurance Cover Personal Belongings, But Come With Extras
- RV insurance is almost like auto insurance and home insurance combined. Some insurers offer “full-timer” policies for people who live in their RVs, which covers the actual RV, personal possessions, liability at your campsites and more.
For more ideas, read our recent article “Positive COVID-19 Cases and Death Continue to Decrease According to Los Angeles Public Health”
Call us directly 1-310-835-3373 or speak with a licensed agent at Uniamericainc.com to discuss which coverages best fit your unique situation.
Subscribe to our blog below!