Boats laws in California require boats to carry one wearable life jacket for each person on board and one throwable device in each boat but they don’t require boat insurance. However it’s highly advisable you should.
What is Boat Insurance?
Boat insurance covers you in the event of a loss or damage to your boat. It covers most watercraft with motors, including fishing boats, pontoon boats, paddle boats, leisure crafts and yachts.
For small watercrafts, you may find some limited coverage under your homeowner’s policy. You may also be able to add a special endorsement or buy separate coverage. Contact an Uniamerica Insurance agent for assistance with all of your boat coverage.
What Does Boat Insurance Cover?
Your boat insurance policy may include the following:
- Collision damage: Includes repair or replacement of your boat.
- Property damage liability: Covers damage you might cause to someone else’s boat, a dock, or other property or structures.
- Bodily injury liability: Covers injury you might cause someone while using your boat; includes medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and legal expenses.
- Comprehensive: Provides compensation if your boat is vandalized, stolen, or damaged in an incident other than a collision.
- Additional coverage options: Coverage for medical payments, fishing equipment, oil spills, personal property and roadside assistance among others.
How Does Boat Insurance Work?
When you buy boat insurance, you must decide on the amount of coverage you need for your boat, the deductible (maximum out of pocket expense per claim) and the types of coverage you need.
In the event that you have an accident, experience a theft, or have another loss that is covered under your policy, you can file a claim and receive a payment covering the loss.
How Much Does Boat Insurance Cost?
It depends on:
- The state you live in
- The type, size, and age of the boat you wish to insure
- The size of motor and how it is powered
- Whether you are using it on inland waters or the open seas
- Whether you have selected additional coverage options
In general, boat insurance can range anywhere from as little as $75 to as much as $500 per year.
For more ideas, read our recent article “How to Build an Emergency Fund.”
Let Uniamericainc.com help you with insurance today!
Subscribe to our blog below!