We found a few awesome tips on Small Biz Daily on how your business can create change in your own community.
1. Find a cause and make it your mission
Focusing on a cause will allow you to put forth maximum effort toward one thing, rather than a little bit of effort toward a bunch of things. What’s more, identifying what you and your team are passionate about is a great way to think about your company values and your responsibility as part of your local community.
A good exercise is to have that internal conversation with yourself and after you have 2-3 causes picked out, take a poll or open up the floor for feedback from the community or your staff — if they’re on your side, you’ll have all the more resources and passion to pull from!
Not sure where to begin searching for causes to support? Check out these ideas:
- Environmental change
- Social justice work
- Food justice
- Community gardening
- Support local artists
- Refugee work
- Kids education, recreation
Once you’ve determined which cause you want to support, make it a point to write it into your company values.
2. Identify ways you can support
If you have a cause in mind, great! You’re halfway there, now it’s time to put in the work. To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of ways you can make a difference:
- Donate money
- Volunteer your time (establish a volunteer day with your staff for a great team building activity!)
- Establish scholarships
- Offer up your services pro-bono
- Donate your products
- Participate in or sponsor charitable events
- Share your space with non-profits (Example: host a community meeting or volunteer gathering)
- Host fundraising events (Example: 10% of proceeds go to X organization on Tuesdays)
- Host a voter registration event to encourage political change
3. Make meaningful business partnerships
Another great way your business can show support for your community is by uplifting other local businesses in your area, particularly those businesses that want to make a positive impact, too. It’ll help you expand your customer and professional network and at the same time create a stronger sense of community support.
Here are a few ways you can build partnerships with other local businesses in your community:
- Promote one another’s posts on social media
- Sponsor events together
- Host a “Shop Small” event with a few other local makers
- Partner up to make a big donation to a charity of your choice
- Buy products from them or sell them in your store
- Use word of mouth to support each other’s businesses
- Collaborate with other business owners in your area and share tips for successful management
4. Support your team internally
Your staff is the backbone of your business, so your support should always start with them. Not only will your support make your team feel appreciated, but it will also help them stay motivated, passionate, and committed to your organization.
Here are a few positive ways you can support your team:
- Offer paid time off to encourage much-needed brain breaks and R&R.
- Encourage healthy lifestyles by offering sick time and health care benefits.
- Promote professional and personal development by sponsoring attendance for local networking events and helping employees set and track their goals.
- Listen to the causes that your staff cares about and consider how you can play a role in change-making.
- Don’t just meet industry standards, exceed them!
For more ideas, read our recent article “Here are the top costly car insurance mistakes you want to avoid”
Speak with a licensed agent at Uniamericainc.com to discuss which coverages best fit your unique situation.
Call us directly 1-310-835-3373 or start a quote online.
Subscribe to our blog below!