Personal Injury Protection and Medical Payment Coverage

Did you know that having liability insurance only pays for medical costs associated with injuries suffered by others in an accident you cause. In other words, this coverage does not pay for your injuries. Read more to find out how your medical expenses can be covered.
If you are not at fault in an accident and you are injured, the at-fault driver’s bodily injury coverage will pay for you medical expenses. If you are at fault, you will need to have one of the coverages below.

Personal Injury Protection

Although Personal Injury Protection or PIP is not required in the state of California, it is especially convenient to have since it helps cover your medical costs regardless of who is at fault.
Your specific policy and your state of residence determines your coverage details, but typically, PIP covers the following for you and your passengers after an accident:

  • Medical expenses.
  • Lost wages due to injury.
  • Funeral expenses.

Medical Payment Coverage

Similar to PIP, Medical Payment Coverage helps pay your medical costs no matter who is at fault for the accident. But compared to PIP, this type of coverage is limited. It only covers:

  • Funeral expenses.
  • Injuries sustained by your passengers.
  • Injuries you sustain as a pedestrian or bicyclist after a car hits you.
  • Necessary dental care as a result of a car accident.

Typically, medical payments coverage will not pay for your lost wages or other items covered by personal injury protection coverage.
Want to get insured for your own injuries in case of an accident? Get in touch with your UniAmerica Insurance agent today or give us a call at 1-310-835-3373.


Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada.